Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Interrupters by Steve James and Alex Kotlowitz Documentary





"The film’s main subjects work for an innovative organization, CeaseFire. It was founded by an epidemiologist, Gary Slutkin, who believes that the spread of violence mimics the spread of infectious diseases, and so the treatment should be similar: go after the most infected, and stop the infection at its source. One of the cornerstones of the organization is the “Violence Interrupters” program, created by Tio Hardiman, who heads the program. The Interrupters — who have credibility on the streets because of their own personal histories — intervene in conflicts before they explode into violence." from here


I watched Interrupters on Frontline last night. It is the best documentary I have seen in a long time. I believe that many  American documentaries are  sometimes too Hollywoodish. In  Interrupters, Steve James did it perfectly. It is real, raw, and for real. It is the story of many real people. To be honest, I did cry a lot because the film touched deep down in my story, in my fears, pains and tribulations. Yes, I am not from Chicago but I grew up in some impoverish neighborhoods or  "ghettos or  Cités ". Places where people fight everyday to stay alive inside. Where dreams are curses that alienate your soul. Where people are for real too. When my baby brother died the entire neighborhood, all his friends were present to support our family. They were family, there is beauty, kindness and love in "those" neighborhoods.... The sad part is that violence  is only a tiny fraction of the pain and suffering experienced. This documentary was able to show that violence is just a symptom. 
 The funny thing is that the first time I came to America, I landed to Chicago. I was amazed by everything. It was in summer everything was new and fun. All I cared was about cheap shopping and improving my English.  The second time, it was winter we stayed in a black neighborhood. Well, it was hardcore cold and cold. I could see how difficult it was to live there. But I felt comfortable, it is weird how when you from "those neighborhoods"  any of them feel reassuring in a weird way... Of course , I am happy that our son is not growing up in one and goes to a good school.  However, I frankly hope he gets some of that realness we got from where we from... Thank you to Steve James and Alex Kotlowitz for Interrupters.

Same Moonlight for Our Dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails