Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Friday, May 28, 2010

Book of the week: The Autobiography Of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and collaboration of Alex Haley.


Here few quotes from the introduction by M.S.Handler that set the atmosphere of the book:“Malcom’s attitude was that of a man who had reached a crossroads in his life and was making a choice under an inner compulsion. A wistful smile illuminated his countenance from time to time_ a smile that said many things…I sensed that Malcom was not confident he would succeed in escaping from the shadowy world which had held him in thrall.” “It was always a strange and moving experience to walk with Malcom in Harlem. It always seemed to me that their affection for Malcom was inspired by the fact that although he had become a national figure, he was still a man of the people who, they felt, would never betray them."
So far my favorite part is that Malcom had a garden when he was a child. His mother gave him a little plot. He narrated how grateful and proud he was. “I loved it and took care of it well…And sometimes… I would lie down on my back ...and I would gaze up in the blue sky at the clouds moving and think all kinds of things.”I love this part because I had a little plot when I was a child. My mother did let me grow carrots and lettuces. I was ecstatic each time we ate my vegetables. It was priceless. My dirt was my most precious possession. Life, death, and time made more sense with a garden. I had to keep bugs away to protect my plants and they had to feed their colonies. Even the rabbits were not  cute anymore when they ate all my carrots.It was silent but colorful lessons about life through gardening. I did learn that you can dream and enjoy everything. But at the end  if you do not work you do not eat.
To conclude I will use Plato’s quote.“Apply yourself both now and in the next life. Without effort, you cannot be prosperous. Though the land be good, You cannot have an abundant crop without cultivation.”

Happy Friday to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails