Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Friday, May 21, 2010

Book of the week: Women, Race and Class by Angela Davis

In this book, Angela Davis offered a perspective on feminism as the intersection of race, gender, and class. With my Afropolitanism; race, gender, and class are definitively in the mix. I am also looking for a book on African feminism. Growing up my mother used to remind me that western feminism was not mine. Her fear was that her only daughter will remain a tomboy for the rest of her life. I did respect and enjoy everything my mother did teach me. I did learn how to cook, serve, host and be a respectful African lady. In the meantime, I played sports from rugby to basket ball, never wore girly clothes, and skateboarded my way out of adolescence. As a foreigner trying to find my way, it was difficult to accept my womanhood with race, and class issues.  Angela Davis message is about unity. She underlines the necessity for women, regardless of race, to work together. Once again thank you all ladies for being such great friends, sisters, mothers, and women. And thank you dear mother for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails