Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Monday, November 8, 2010

Ylang-Ylang from the Comoro Islands: The islands of the Moon.

Ylang-ylang is a flower that soothed my childhood. I can still smell Passion Flower oil or coconut  oil infused with ylang ylang. In Tagalog, ylang-ylang means "flower of flowers." Like I said in a previous post, until I turned 7 years old, I strongly believed I was a native of Comoro Islands. When,I moved to Europe , I realized that my friends were right. I was one of them but I was not from there.I lost my comorian (Shikomor) by the time I turned 9 years old. 

French perfumery  like Guerlain as well as Dior used this flower in many of their signature fragance.Ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata) is the key element of many perfumes because it binds  the ingredients and spikes the senses. Ylang-ylang is like "love", it binds all the elements in life and spikes the senses.  I always smell my dear ylang-ylang in perfumes. It is a mesmering mix of luxurious jasmine, bright bergamot, and orange blossom with a really specific grounding scent that calms. It always comforts me. Even if I am not from there,  I  have a little of Comoro Islands in  me and I belong there. 

Besides I just found out that "Early Arab traders, named the Comoro Islands qumr, a name derived from qamar, or moon. Initially, this name was applied to Madagascar, then to the four Comoro Islands as a group." So fate and destiny made me who I am today. And under the same  moonlight in my island Ajouan, Ndzuwani: I did dream of  many adventures and journeys. 
Same Moonlight for our dreams.
Peace and Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails