Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Going Green but how Green?

It is the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. We are grateful and extra nice today.I do love the documentary “Dirt! The movie”. Gimmicky or not, it is interesting and fun.I like the metaphor of humans as viruses attacking “dirt-a living breathing matrix of microorganisms”. And the passion of Vandana Shiva, Wangaria Mathai is contagious. One day I will grow my own vegetables like our mother did. And like Voltaire said in "Candide: or, The Optimist" we must cultivate our garden to be happy.

On the other hand, Oh No, I will not buy “a Bahama Umbrella specially designed to drain so that water can be stored, reused and recycled.” I am sorry but I will not purchase soy made toy like “Peat the Penguin from Greenzys line”. By the way, I am not eating all organic. The reason is that my wallet is not that green! I am going green as much as I can. I will keep on walking, going to the farmers market, recycle, drink tap, and do as much as I can. I love goodwill and thrift stores. As long as I remember we always purchased second hand clothes, and used everything.

In the New York Times, Denis Hayes, national coordinator of the first Earth Day says “This ridiculous perverted marketing has cheapened the concept of what is really green”. My favorite remark is from an independent documentary filmmaker, Robert Stone stating “Every Earth Day is a reflection of where we are as a culture” and “If it has become commoditized, about green consumerism instead of systemic change, then it is a reflection of our society.” Well we should go green by consuming less, to produce less, to pollute less, and preserve more. Earth is changing no matter what but we are not ready to change.

So I am going green as much as my wallet can go. I went to the thrift store and got 3 books “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: 1, 2, 3”for $5.97 instead of $32 online. I am recycling and keeping it real. I am not giving up all my ideals for “productive practicality”. Like Candide, I am aware of our imperfections. I will do what I can. Then I will pray because “everything had its purpose and things were made for the best.”

Going green should not be a trend. It should be a lifestyle. I do what I can. Happy 40th Anniversary! At 4.5 billion years old, Mother Earth is cracking up!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails