Search This Blog

Available Language Options

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Simpsons are going Green

The Simpsons: The Squirt and the Whale
I did learn academic English in classroom. However I have to give credit to the Simpsons. In order to improve my speaking skills, I watched four episodes a day my first month in the USA.  And thanks to Lisa Simpsons I could distinguish proper English from slang.
So I had to share this episode, a little cheesy but a funny critic of eco-activism. The crazy part is that I did learn the lyrics of the French song “La mer”(it is played at the end) my first year in France when I was nine years old. I do remember this poem because I was homesick. And I realized that I could not replace my beloved Indian Ocean but the Mediterranean Sea had its charm.
And I grew to love her.

La mer  de Charles Trenet (1913 – 2001).

La mer The Sea
Qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs
That one sees dancing along the clear gulfs
A des reflets d'argent  Has silver reflections
La mer  The Sea
Des reflets changeants Changing reflections
Sous la pluie  Under the rain

La mer  The Sea
Au ciel d'été confond  In the summer sky merge
Ses blancs moutons  Its white sheep
Avec les anges si purs  With such pure angels
La mer bergère d'azur  The sea, shepherdess of azure
Infinie  Infinite

Voyez See
Près des étangs  Close to the ponds
Ces grands roseaux mouillés  These large wet reeds
Voyez  See
Ces oiseaux blancs  These white birds
Et ces maisons rouillées  And these rusted houses

La mer  The Sea
Les a bercés  Has rocked them
Le long des golfes clairs  Along the clear gulfs
Et d'une chanson d'amour  And with a song of love
La mer  The Sea
A bercé mon cœur pour la vie  Has soothed my heart for life


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails